This recipe was originally from the Channel 4 site and I was going to post a link to it but the recipe is no longer there.
So, for the benefit of all mankind, I am reproducing it here. I have made 3 batches of these and they’ve all turned out really well. I think this is the perfect chocolate chip muffin recipe.
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g plain chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml milk
- 90ml vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 190 deg C, fan oven 170 deg C, Gas Mark 5. Grease 10 holes of a non-stick muffin pan, or line with 10 paper muffin cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and chocolate chips.
- Beat together the egg, vanilla extra and milk. Add the oil, stirring to mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Do not beat or over-mix – the batter will still be a little bit lumpy.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.